GX INNOVATION BOOT CAMP (ADAPT TO SURVIVE PROGRAMME)
In an ever-changing world, the only truly sustainable advantage is the ability to innovate.
With the impact of Covid-19 predicted to ripple through the World for months to come, those that prepare and take action now to mitigate against the worst effects and, where possible, pivot to align with the new economic conditions and demands emerging, will stand the best chance of survival. Therefore it is critical for small NE businesses to understand and assess the new business landscape and make changes to emerge stronger.
This Innovation Boot Camp takes businesses through a short, structured programme to strengthen recovery and maximise the success of innovation development.
The first Innovation Boot Camp ran in June 2020, please click on the link below if you would be interested in joining the second cohort in September 2020.
WHAT IS THE GX INNOVATION BOOT CAMP?
• A one hour introduction Adapt to Survive Webinar which is open to all.
• Followed by a series of three two-hour online group sessions delivered in an online workshop style open only to businesses that are accepted through the application process.
• The focus is on helping participants to develop and execute their innovation opportunities.
• Facilitated by industry-proven innovation experts.
• Support between sessions provided by GX Project Innovation Managers.
• For SMEs of up to 250 employees with ambitions to grow through development of new products or services.
WHAT WILL THE SESSIONS ACHIEVE?
• A safe, confidential and non-judgmental space for NE business owners to plan, de-risk and begin to execute on new ideas.
• Help for participants to adapt quickly to the “new normal” created by COVID-19; identify new opportunities or ways of doing business; creating better business resilience
• Support from the skills, experience and networks of the GX Project team as well as innovation experts to improve the likelihood of success of innovations.
• Accredited coaching techniques to make sure members really understand the issue rather than immediately leaping into problem-solving mode.
• Ameliorate the “lonely at the top” feeling that many leaders experience; foster mutual support in facing the challenges of running a business in the current crisis.
• Create a fast cadence of accountability for business ideas committed to by participants.
WHAT KIND OF BUSINESSES CAN JOIN THE PROGRAMME?
SMEs will have to be based North East LEP area including Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside and Northumberland. Due to funding restrictions we can only support a couple of companies from the Durham area.
The companies that can be supported must in some way be linked to one of the smart specialisation areas identified by NELEP which includes Creative, Digital, Software and Technology based services, Energy, Passenger vehicle manufacture; Subsea and Offshore Energy and Life Sciences and Health. The project can also support cultural and tourism business that are working on innovations that are developing digital and immersive technology innovations or similar.
WHAT WILL PARTICIPANTS GET?
• 1 x 60-minute open briefing about adapting your business to survive current challenges
• 3 x 120-minute masterclass workshops each week for three weeks
• Opportunities to discuss projects and gain contacts/links with GX Innovation Manager between sessions.
• Templates and workflow documents that build up to:
– One-page business strategy summary
– ‘Pitch deck’ style business plan focusing on the key initiative/innovation idea
– Scorecard of metrics to track results.
WHAT ARE THE DATES OF DELIVERY?
We will run this programme throughout September 2020.
Dates for delivery will be confirmed once we have spoken to those businesses that have expressed interest to maximise their availability to attend.
WHO IS DELIVERING THE BOOT CAMP?
The session will be delivered by two experts in strategic and innovation development.
Laura Cook is a CIMA-qualified management accountant who has spent 12-yrs in manufacturing and innovative businesses as a partner to the senior leadership.
Damian Cook is an independent business turnaround expert with specialist knowledge in new product development. He’s spent twenty-five supporting growth and innovation in companies from single entrepreneurs to large multi-nationals. More info here.
WHAT IS THE COST OF THE BOOT CAMP?
The GX Innovation Boot Camp is fully funded, however you must apply to join the full programme as it is only open to eligible North East businesses.
WHAT IS THE THEME OF EACH SESSION?
The first Adapt to Survive session is open to all and everyone can sign up for this for free here.
The following 3 workshops are run on a weekly basi and have limited numbers. All interested businesses must apply to attend these by completing the application form linked to below.
HOW TO JOIN THE BOOT CAMP
The GX Innovation Boot Camp is fully funded. The first session is open to all (register for this here), however you must apply to attend the following three workshops. Only those that are eligible will be accepted to on to the boot camp and numbers are capped.
If the minimum number of delegates do not register, NGI reserves the right to postpone the boot camp to a later date, or cancel if required.
In order to join the progarmme you must run or work for a small or medium sized (SME) business in the North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP) area and must be able to commit to all three of the workshop sessions. To apply to take part by completing the short application form linked to below.